pH Level of Vinegar Calculation
The density of vinegar is calculated using a 'hydrometer', which is an instrument used to calculate the right degree of gravity contained within a solid or liquid. Vinegar has 5% acetic acid content where its density amounts to '1.01 grams/milliliter'. The abbreviation 'pH', refers to 'potential hydrogen', where the amount of hydrogen ions is determined in that format. The scale of pH levels ranges from 1 to 14, where elements that fall below the number 7 in pH levels, is neutral (basic / alkaline) in nature, with a high concentration of hydrogen ions. If levels fall lower than the pH level 7, then these are acidic in nature, where hydrogen ions are low. To calculate the pH of vinegar, we apply the following formulae to get its result.
(H+) Hydrogen concentration
(OH-) Hydroxyl Ion
CH3COOH (acetic acid) ↔ CH3COO- (acetate) + H+
pH = -log [H+]
pH = -log 3.98x10-3
pH of vinegar = 2.4
Health Benefits of Vinegar
The benefits of vinegar not only aid one in health related problems, but also come in use for many other purposes as well.
- Apple cider vinegar is known to lower blood pressure levels.
- Helps eliminate bad breath and infections in the mouth, by gargling with water and vinegar.
- Helps treat dandruff.
- Mixing vinegar and honey together will help you dissolve crystal deposits on one's joints during arthritis. It will ease the pain if not completely cure your malady.
- Using vinegar to treat warts is helpful, due to its salicylic acid properties.
- Helps give hair more shine.
- Reduces cholesterol in the body.
- A teaspoon or more of vinegar can help stop hiccups.
- Can be used to treat sunburns.
- Diminishes food cravings.
- Absorbs fat deposits in the body, and rids it from the system.
- Helps counter the effects of heart disease and even cancer.
- Helps keep one's weight in check.
- Relieves the state of insect bites or stings.
- Dabbing apple cider vinegar on the urethra can help with urinary tract infection.
- Can help prevent ulcers when ingested.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Helps in digestion and bowel movement.
- Increases insulin sensitivity in diabetics suffering from type 2 diabetes.