Here are some of the most significant alfalfa health benefits that one can look into getting:
- The alfalfa leaf is packed with varied vitamins and minerals like iron, folic acid, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium and all B vitamins. This makes it a supplement for overall health.
- It contains the K vitamin which is responsible for blood clotting. And thereby helps in healing of bleeding gums and nosebleeds.
- It acts as a natural diuretic as well as a laxative and therefore helps to cleanse the system of toxins.
- It contains bioflavanoids which help in maintaining the digestive health of a person by helping to lower the inflammation of the stomach lining and thereby preventing the formation of ulcers.
- It has the ability to improve the functioning of the pituitary gland and thereby varied other functions related to maturation and reproduction.
- Being a natural diuretic, it helps in detoxifying the urinary tract and thereby helps in preventing the occurrence of urinary tract infections.
- It contains high levels of magnesium and calcium and thereby helps in reducing migraines and headaches.
- It helps in food digestion because it contains high levels of enzymes. These also help in the assimilation of food and thereby help in digestion better. It also reduces digestive problems like indigestion and bloating.
- The alfalfa leaf has cooling properties and is therefore used for a number of conditions that cause inflammation in the body. Some of these being, ulcers, burning urine, cystitis and heat boils.
- It is also used in clearing out congestion of the chest and in correcting varied breathing conditions like asthma, bronchitis etc.
- It treats fevers, jaundice, diabetes and therefore helps in improving immunity.
- It provides for great heart health by lowering cholesterol.
- It reduces the build up of plaque on the walls of the artery and therefore helps to maintain heart health in that way as well.
- It is an excellent blood and liver purifier.
- It helps in maintaining the hormonal balance in the body by providing for estrogen activities.
The alfalfa leaf can be used in varied forms like capsules or powder. These are then used as a daily supplement product and can be made use of like so. However, the easiest form of using the alfalfa leaf is in the form of tea. This makes it easiest for consumption and provides for great taste as well. The following are directions of how to go about making alfalfa tea.
One can either use the alfalfa leaf powder or dry out the leaves and then use them. Add equal spoons of alfalfa powder and water and begin boiling. Add sugar or honey (optional) when it starts to boil. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes on a low flame. Then take it down from the stove and let it sit for sometime. This allows the essence and flavors to come through. Then strain the leaves and have the tea 2-3 times a day after it has been warmed. One can add cayenne pepper and chamomile to this liquid as well.
This article highlighted some of the benefits that the alfalfa leaf provides for, as well as showed you some ways of how one can go about including it in one's diet. One can start using this product and reap the benefits of all that it has to offer. Yet, always make sure that you have it within limits and that you consult a doctor before starting out.