How to Write and Keep Meeting Minutes
While effective tips dictate the importance of taking down minutes, it is not a job that anyone takes on with enthusiasm. It may seem a monotonous task but it is an extremely important one. The minutes of a meeting are the single most important proof of the decisions that have been taken in a meeting, and as far as many financial authorities are concerned, minutes of a meeting are legally valid documents. Despite the importance of the document there is no set format. The meeting minutes format given in this article is a generic one, and it makes it all the more important to know and understand how to write minutes for a meeting.
- The most important thing to keep in mind while writing minutes is that the document is for future reference and also for people who may not have been present at the meeting. Write down the points in a language and manner that is easily decipherable.
- While during the meeting you can write down the minutes in shorthand, it is always better to type out the minutes of the meeting on a laptop. This is a quick way of doing things and will save you a lot of time later on.
- There are some very important constituent features of a meeting minutes template. This includes the names of every person who has attended the meeting. As the person taking down the minutes, this becomes your duty.
- There is no need to include all the details. Just note down all the main decisions that have been taken at the meeting and include references to the motions that have been discussed and passed.
- It is always important that if you note down the minutes in shorthand, then you transcribe the same as soon as possible in order to ensure that no details are missed out at a later point of time.
- Before copies of the meeting minutes are passed out to all attendees, ensure that you check it for any grammatical or spelling errors.
Now that you know what the important things to keep in mind while taking down minutes meeting are, you can take a look at a template that will help you understand exactly how such a document should be drafted in order for easy reference in the future.
|Board Meeting Minutes Template|
Name of Organization:
Venue of Meeting:
Date and Time of Meeting:
Aim of Meeting:
On the Agenda:
Actions and Decisions:
Any Other Business:
Meeting Concluded at: (Time)
Meeting Chaired by: (Name of Person)
This template is an extremely generic one that can be modified according to the needs of the meeting that is being held. In business writing, minutes of a meeting holds great importance as it can go a long way in maintaining records and ensuring that all the necessary details are available at the drop of a hat if necessary. A person who is given the responsibility of taking down meeting minutes should understand the responsibility of the job, despite the mundanity of the same.