How to Detect Car Water Pump Problems
Problems mostly arise due to overheating. Some of the symptoms are, failure of pump to deliver the liquid, pump drawing too much power and excessive vibration in the pump. There are three types of pumps: submersible pumps, oil pumps and, pond pumps and well pumps. The method of detection differs for each type. In order to detect over power consumption, you can check the gas consumption level of your vehicle. Open the hood and check if the pump is able to deliver the coolant to the radiator.
Reasons Behind the Problems
If the water pump fails to perform, it leads to severe car overheating problems. If you fail to detect the snag at early stage, the heat might even damage your car. Problems arise mostly due to the following reasons:
- Coolant leak from the pipe.
- Damaged impeller blades.
- Defective bearings in the pump.
- Broken fan belt.
- Prolonged use that leads to wear and tear.
- Faulty radiator cap incapable of holding pressure.
- Screeching noise from the pump.
The pump replacement is needed if the damage is beyond repair. The following steps shall guide you with the correct procedure of car water pump replacement.
- Arrange the necessary tools. They are: screwdrivers, gasket sealer, scraper, new hose clamps, gasket, ratchet wrench (open and joint) and new water pump.
- At first, support the hood with jack and then remove the negative end of the battery.
- Before draining the coolant, remove the hose of the water.
- In this step, you need to remove the fan clutch and unbolt the fan.
- Once you have removed the hoses and fans, start unlocking the fasteners that hold the water pump to the engine.
- Remove the water pump from the engine and start the replacement process.
- Adjust the new pump accurately and tighten the screws.
- Replace the parts you have removed. Re-install the clamps and reconnect the hoses.
- Firmly tighten the belts so that there's no leakage.
- The last step is to close the drain pipes and fill the coolant in the radiator.
Once you become efficient in detecting the car water pump problems, you can carry out the replacement process at home. This way, you can save the water pump replacement cost. Make sure you follow all the safety guidelines before starting the replacement.