Caring for Lucky Bamboo
If the lucky bamboo is exposed to direct sunlight, the leaves may turn yellow. Salt water also makes the leaves turn yellow. To grow a new plant, cut it with a sharp knife through the stalk just below the joint. Lucky bamboo plants can be shifted from one pot, to another. While doing this, take care to allow the top of the soil to dry out between watering sessions. For the growth of a new bud, use a fine mist spray pump, to water it. The water should be changed every week, thus keeping it fresh, this will help you a lot in lucky bamboo plant care. The level of water should be an inch from the base of the canes. This plant thrives best in indirect sunlight. The temperature of the room should be around 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The plant should be often treated with an African Violet fertilizer. This will control the growth of your plant, which in turn, will help you in the taking care of lucky bamboo plants.
How to Cut Lucky Bamboo
You first need to obtain a few items, necessary for cutting lucky bamboo, they are; a sharp pair of shears or scissors, paraffin wax, toothpicks or cotton swabs and distilled water.
- Use the shears or scissors to clip the green growth, sprouting from the stalks, 1 to 2 inches from the stack. This will make the plant grow to its full length, and also look neat and clean.
- Take a 1/8 measure of melted paraffin wax in a cup. Do not bombard the plant with hot wax. With a cotton swab or toothpick, apply wax on the fresh cuts, made in the beginning. This will avoid the invasion of bacteria to the interior parts of the plant, thus, preventing it from rotting.
- If the roots in the pot have become dense, it is advised to have them trimmed. For trimming the roots, dislodge the plant from its container, gently, as there are chances of the gravel getting entangled with the roots and damaging them.
- With the help of the scissors or sharp shears, trim the ends of the roots. After that, place the plant back into the container.
- If you wish, you can root the stems that you have cut. Fill the glass with distilled water since it is free from all kinds of impurities. Place these stems in the glass and set it near its mother plant. This will help you in growing lucky bamboo cuttings.