Diabetic Foods to Eat and Avoid
There are big no-no's to a diet when it comes to food people eat in case they have diabetes. But hey this does not mean that you cannot eat anything. There are things you can eat without batting your eyelid or thinking twice about it! Take a look at what all can you include and not, in a diabetic diet menu plan!
Food Items Suitable for Diabetics
In diabetes, one thing the individual has to take care is that the sugar levels should not shoot up. Diabetic foods list basically includes fruits, and any food item which is high in fiber and complex carbohydrates are advised. These items are -
- Oats porridge
- Vegetables like avocados, beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, celery, cucumber, onions, lettuce, mushrooms, olives, peas, spinach and tomatoes
- Fish - for its Omega 3 fatty acids and protein
- Nuts are great as diabetic foods to eat because they are full of good fats to keep the heart in good health
- Chicken and turkey (skin to be removed)
All these were best diabetic foods to eat in a diabetes diet menu. Now let us take a look as to what is not recommended for diabetes patients.
Foods Items - Big No No for Diabetics
There are a number of food items which, if consumed, can spell doom for your body if their consumption is not controlled. From processed foods to trans fats and food items high in glucose a diabetic has to take care to not trample upon these dangerous paths of food and follow the diabetic diet guidelines! Here is a list of diabetic foods to avoid.
- Foods with preservatives
- Processed foods
- Salty and oily foods - chips, fries and the like
- Food made from white flour - like pasta, cakes, biscuits, pies, etc.
- Starch loaded vegetables
- Concentrated dairy products
What a diabetic person eats has an unmistakable connection with his or her overall health and that is what will determine sugar levels in the body. Food items which release sugar slowly in the blood stream are the best bet. If you have no option but to eat out, go for baked, roasted, steamed or grilled food. Moreover, these rules apply be it Type 1 diabetes diet or type 2 diabetes diet.
All the other intricacies about list of foods for diabetic to eat can be given to you by the health care provider. Apart from keeping tabs and being on your toes about what you eat and what you avoid, exercising is equally crucial. Do not forget to burn those calories. I sign off here and close my article on diabetic foods to eat. Have a healthy life.