How to Make a Fishbone Braid
Making a fishbone braid might seem intimidating, but it is very easy to create. Before we give you instructions for creating a fishbone braid, let us know which type of hair this braid is suitable for. A fishbone or herringbone braid is best created on women who have thick, long hair. Even shoulder length hair can be styled into a fisbone hairstyle. To make a fishbone braid, follow the braid instructions given below.
- First shampoo and condition your hair with an anti-frizz shampoo and shine enhancing serum. Blot hair with a towel and allow hair to dry naturally.
- Apply a bit of hair mousse on the crown area and smooth a coin-sized amount of shine serum through your tresses.
- When hair is dry, comb hair with a wide-toothed comb to remove any knots and tangles.
- Once you have combed your hair, gather your hair at the nape of your neck and separate hair into two equal sections.
- Now using your index finger of your right hand, pull out a section of hair from the base of your right ear. Make sure that this hair section is narrow and not more than half inch in width.
- Now cross this narrow section of hair towards the left side, keeping the pressure constant.
- Take another narrow half inch section of hair from behind the left ear and cross it over towards the right side.
- Continue braiding in this way by taking narrow sections of hair from both sides. When all the hair is braided, secure with an elastic band.
- Spritz the hairstyle with hairspray and you are done.
Now that you know how to make a fishbone braid, you can create different hairstyles with it. One of the best hairstyles with fishbone braid is to opt for a side braid. This is a very sexy and cool look and doesn't take very long to create. Just apply a bit of mousse to the front of your hair and backcomb it to give hair height. Proceed to make the fishbone braid as instructed above and swing it over one side of your shoulder. Remove a few strands of hair from the sides of your face and curl them with a narrow barreled curling iron. The curls should frame your face and should be loose. With the help of a rattail comb, pull out a few tendrils of hair from the fishbone braid, to give it a slightly undone look. Spritz a bit of hair spray over the braid to control any frizz and set the style.
Making a fishbone braid is not too difficult. With the right styling tool and a bit of practice you can create the perfect fishtail braid at home.