As mentioned above, prunes are dried plums, mainly derived from the European plum varieties. These dried plums are said to be highly nutritious with high levels of vitamins, minerals and other beneficial compounds. Around 40 grams of prunes contain 27 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of dietary fiber, 18.3 grams of sugar, 0.2 grams fat, 1.1 gram protein and zero cholesterol. 40 grams of prunes amounts to 100 calories. The following table will provide you with some information about the nutritional value of prunes.
|Vitamin A||844.48 IU|
|Vitamin B1||0.03 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.84 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.4 mg|
|Vitamin E||1.03 mg|
Due to its high nutrient content, prunes benefits are remarkable. The following paragraph will provide you with more information about the health benefits of prunes.
Prune Health Benefits
Now, you know that prunes are rich in food nutrients, like, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc. Including prunes or prune juice in your diet will be helpful in reaping health benefits offered by these dried plums. The following are some of the health benefits of dried prunes.
- As mentioned above, prunes are popular as a remedy for constipation. The credit goes to the high fiber content of prunes. This fiber increases the bulk of the stool and decreases the transit time of stools, thereby reducing the risk of colon cancer, hemorrhoids, etc.
- Prunes contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. The soluble fiber is beneficial in lowering cholesterol levels, as they attach to the bile acids and remove cholesterol through feces. Even the antioxidants in prunes can aid in lowering cholesterol. Insoluble fiber aids the beneficial bacteria, as it provides food for the later. This contributes to the health of the colon.
- The presence of antioxidants, like beta carotene, is found to be the reason for the health benefits of prunes. It is a common fact that antioxidants fight free radicals, thereby preventing a number of health problems, like, heart attacks, strokes, etc.
- High levels of potassium in prunes is also beneficial for cardiovascular health, as it plays a vital role in maintaining normal levels of blood pressure and heart rate. So, prunes are said to be useful in reducing high blood pressure. As it is rich in potassium, prunes are also good for bone health. It is also said to fight loss of calcium.
- Health benefits of eating prunes include its role in lowering high blood sugar levels. The soluble fiber in prunes delays the absorption of glucose into the blood. It is also said to cause insulin sensitivity, which in turn is good for the prevention of type 2 diabetes.
- According to some studies, prunes are said to alleviate symptoms associated with menopause. Even the problems related to bone health (like, osteoporosis), during menopause are said to be countered with prune intake.
- Some people use prunes as a remedy for acne control and such skin problems. It is also said that cellulite reduction is also possible with prune consumption. Even weight loss is linked with prune intake.