Common Cold Symptoms
The most common symptoms which indicate a common cold include runny nose, sneezing, stuffy nose, cough, itchy or sore throat. There could be low-grade body aches or mild headaches and a low-grade fever too. Watery eyes is also one of the common symptoms which occur and so are congestion and mild fatigue.
How to Manage Common Cold
Common cold has no cure and it is a condition that is self-resolving. Once the virus has run its course, the symptoms will start improving. As the condition is caused by a viral infection, antibiotics come of no help. However, to manage the symptoms like congestion, cough, headaches, etc., one can get help of OTC medications. But again, such drugs have their own share of side effects. Moreover, using these drugs would not make the cold go away any sooner.
So, to avoid the undesirable side effects, patients can go for some inexpensive and effective home remedies to deal with the annoying symptoms.
- Garlic has always been a popular remedy to deal with the symptoms of common cold, due to its natural antiseptic properties. Cut some garlic cloves into small pieces and boil them in a cup of water. Strain the mixture and add some salt and pepper and some green chillies to it. Drink it hot. It would not only help to relieve the congestion but would also help to treat the sore throat.
- Another simple method to get over a cold is drinking a mixture of warm water which has lime juice and honey added to it.
- Prepare some black tea and while the tea is boiling, add a few bay leaves, ginger root paste and powder of black pepper. Have it while it's hot. It would relieve the throat irritation and lessen congestion.
- Take some black cumin in a clean cloth and make it into a kind of pouch. Hold it near your nose and sniff it for sometime. You may feel a sting in your nose, but it is one of the most effective home remedies to improve the symptoms of a common cold.
- Make a mix of garlic oil and onion juice. Dilute it with some water and drink this potion several times a day. This also provides great relief from the symptoms.
- Sore throat which is also an outcome of a common cold can be treated with the help of lady's finger. As the vegetable is rich in mucilage, it helps to soothe the throat. All you have to do is to cut some pieces of the vegetable and boil them in about a half a liter of water. Strain the mixture and drink the decoction.