Tips for Getting Rid of Bad Dreams
Understanding the meaning and causes is necessary to get rid of the same. Researches have shown that when a person is under some sort of physical or mental stress, he is much more likely to get bad dreams and disturbed sleep. So, one of the foremost tips is to find out the causes of physical and mental stress in your life and eliminate these. For instance, if you are overworked, learn to take things slow. Do not be ambitious to the point that it starts affecting your health. If you feel work is important, learn to delegate it. Basically, take steps to reduce your burden.
Another cause behind bad dreams is any kind of trauma that a person might have experienced recently or in the past which they are unable to get over. Death of a very close family member is often seen to be the reason behind recurrent nightmares. In such a case, taking therapy and dealing with the trauma is the only solution to stop bad dreams.
Intake of certain medicines like antidepressants and beta-blockers, amongst others, could be the cause behind bad dreams. Eating fatty and high-protein foods in dinner is also known to cause bad dreams in some people. So, bad dreams occurring because of these reasons can be stopped if a doctor is consulted for change of medication and if the diet is altered. Taking a light dinner of soups and salads is the best, both for the health as well as for putting an end to disturbed sleep in some cases.
Besides these, there are a number of other things that a person can do to have a good night's sleep. Here are some of the most effective ones:
- Undertake stress management techniques like yoga, breathing exercises and meditation. Joining a hobby class and pursuing an activity of your choice such as singing or dancing, will reduce your stress and make you feel good too.
- Maintain a regular sleeping pattern i.e. sleep at the same time everyday and wake up at the same time, the next day. For this, switch off the lights in your bedroom at the stipulated time and put an alarm for waking up at the exact time the next day.
- Make a routine of exercise everyday. It will uplift your mood and help you sleep better.
- Your bedroom should be the most comfortable place in the world. So, get rid of all electronic gadgets including television. Do not undertake any kind of office work at home, especially on your bed.
- If you are consuming alcohol in excess or are on some sort of drugs, take steps to get over these addictions as these are known to hamper sleep and cause bad dreams.
- Praying for a few minutes before sleeping or reading something that you enjoy can relax a person and help them sleep better.
- Inculcate positive thinking. If you harbor negative thoughts, it can have an adverse effect on the kind of dreams that you have. So, from now on try to be a happy and positive person.
- Become social. Interact with a variety of people, meet up with friends often. This will help you take your mind off some of the problems you might be facing and those which could be the possible cause behind your bad dreams.
- Having a hot water bath and a glass of warm milk, just before sleeping, is an age-old remedy for a good sleep. So, try this for a good night sleep.