To fix a dent or a small patch is a normal thing and can be done with ease but to spray paint the whole car is kind of a risky and difficult job. You need to have perfection and lots of patience to perform this job. But one thing is for sure, after completing your car painting job, the outcome will be good and you will save bundles of money. So without wasting more time, let's get to work.
Things Required for Painting
For spray painting a car you need to have following things.
- Good and well ventilated garage. It should be big enough for your car to be kept there throughout the process of painting.
- To start with the process you need to buy several sheets of sandpapers. You need to buy three different types of sandpapers which will be of 600 grit, 1500 grit and 2000 grit. These sandpapers will help in removing the previous paint and imperfections on the car.
- Paint bottles of your desired color, car wax and primer.
- Good putty will help you to fix the dents and scratches. It will also give you good finishing surface.
- You should wear masks while spray painting as it saves you from inhaling paint.
To spray paint a car you need to follow the instruction given below. But let me tell you one thing car painting is not a job which will get over in few hours, it may take more than a week for your car to come out of the garage.
- Well the first thing to start is car wash. This will remove the dust and other stains from the car and will help you to carry on with the process. Leave it to dry for half an hour.
- Now start with the 600 grit sandpaper and remove the old car paint. This process may take a lot of time. After completing the car with 600 grit sandpaper, start with the 1500 grit and 2000 grit sandpaper for smooth and finer look.
- After you complete the sandpaper work on your car look for the dents and imperfections. If you find any, then use putty to correct it. Put putty on all the defective places and make it smooth.
- Now it's time to cover all the places where you don't want to paint, like glasses, mirrors, interiors, etc. You need to be very careful in masking every single area as it may spoil the look of your car if the paint comes over the mirror or glasses.
- After masking the car, wear your own mask and start with the primer spray. Spray a coat of primer and let it dry for few hours. Follow the car painting instructions for details.
- Now comes the spray paint. Take the desired color paint in the spray gun and start doing the first coat. Be very careful in evenly spraying the paint. Cover the entire car and leave it for half an hour. After that, start with the second coat. Spray evenly so that it may not look heavily painted at some places as compared to the others. This may look like a patch and will spoil the look of the car.
- After the second coat leave the car in the garage for few days to dry properly. If you have selected a color which suggests you to paint more than 2 coats then do it and leave it for drying after the coats are done.
- Now after drying, start with car waxing for proper finishing and more glossy look. Now your car is ready to hit the roads.