Causes of Itchy Head
There can be several reasons for an itchy head. Some of the major ones are briefly described here.
Contact Dermatitis: Contact dermatitis is the foremost cause of an itchy head. You tend to develop it when the immune system of your body recognizes a foreign substance and activates an allergic reaction against it. The reaction causes inflammation and itching on the skin. The allergens triggering the onset of contact dermatitis on scalp can be a new shampoo, hair dye, soap and other hair care products containing alcohol as one of the ingredients.
Seborrheic Dermatitis: Itchy head and hair loss can be a result of seborrheic dermatitis. It appears as itchy and inflamed skin covered by greasy or dry scales. The scales can be white, gray or yellowish in color. Seborrheic dermatitis most commonly affects head. Dandruff and cradle cap are types of seborrheic dermatitis that causes mild to intense itching of the head.
Psoriasis: Psoriasis can give you a red, itchy head. It is an autoimmune disease that is mediated by T-lymphocytes. Psoriasis often involves other body parts such as elbows, knees, scalp, navel, buttocks, genitals and the area around your ears.
Stress: Stress can be a cause of itchy head. Many people have a general tendency to scratch their head when they are under any sort of financial, work, family issues. Even dietary and weather changes can make them scratch their head and cause rashes that itch. Such a condition is known as neurogenic excoriation.
Head Lice: The presence of head lice can make the head to itch. This is a common cause of itchy head in children. Head louse spreads easily with head-to-head contact, and thus, can take shelter in anyone's head to cause havoc.
Dry Scalp Skin: Dry itchy scalp skin may lead to itchy head as it lacks natural oils and is quite prone to infections. The reasons behind excessive drying of the scalp are frequent washing of hair with hot water and harsh shampoos, using hair styling products and equipment, and exposure to extreme temperatures.
Home Remedies for Itchy Head
Following are some efficacious natural treatments for itchy head. Try them out to improve your condition.
- Avoid itchy head scalp contact with any substance that you feel is the reason behind contact dermatitis. This will restore the healthy state of your head.
- Provide oil and moisture to your hair and head. Massage your scalp with a little warm olive or coconut oil daily before bedtime. You may wash it the next morning. This will reduce the dryness of scalp to a great extent.
- Aloe vera is known to possess antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. To add to these, it causes a soothing effect on the skin. Make use of Aloe vera by applying its pulp on your head for 20-10 minutes. Wash your hair off well with plenty of water and a mild shampoo later on.
- Take 3-4 teaspoons of mustard oil and add a teaspoon of powdered camphor to it. Mix them well and massage your head with it for 3-4 minutes. Wrap your head with a towel for a half hour, and then wash it off with shampoo and water. This will provide you relief from head lice, and hence, itchy head.
- Try to lead a life free from stress and tension. You may take help of yoga and meditation to improve your mental state.
- A strong immune system will fight the causative agent of itchy head as well as prevent the occurrence of diseases on the head. Therefore, you should follow a healthy diet and lifestyle to strengthen it.