Low Blood Sugar Symptoms Without Diabetes: Causes
There are many causes of hypoglycemia without diabetes. These include:
- One of the most common causes for the development of low blood sugar symptoms without diabetes is reactive hypoglycemia. This is a condition which occurs when, after a large and heavy high carbohydrate meal, there is over secretion of insulin in the body. This insulin has an effect that lasts for many hours. This condition is usually seen in very obese people with frequent and bad eating habits, where there is often a demand for large amounts of insulin.
- Sometimes, if a person has a tumor in the pancreas, then it could lead to an increase in the production of insulin.
- People may accidentally take a dose of insulin or diabetic medication, which could lead to low blood sugar problems without diabetes.
- People who go on a crash diet or who fast and then binge, may also develop sudden low blood sugar. This could happen because after fasting, the person may suddenly binge and so, there is a sharp rise in the level of insulin in the body. This could lead to symptoms of hypoglycemia without diabetes.
- Children tend to play for a long time and neglect food or are very picky eaters. Hence, prolonged periods of going without food may lead to symptoms of hypoglycemia without diabetes in children.
The symptoms of hypoglycemia without diabetes will vary depending on the severity of the condition. The symptoms of mild hypoglycemia include:
- Nausea and hunger
- Altered mental status and being very finicky and nervous
- Cold extremities with clammy skin
- Tachycardia (very fast heartbeat)
- Changes in mood with irritability and anxiety and unpredictable mood swings
- Confusion and inability to concentrate
- Extreme hunger
- Blurred vision with dizziness
- The overall energy levels of the individual are low, so he is weak and has poor coordination
- Lethargy and difficulty walking and talking straight
Low Blood Sugar Symptoms Without Diabetes: Treatment
The hypoglycemia without diabetes treatment will entail treating the main underlying cause. Thus, if a person has a tendency to develop reactive hypoglycemia, then he needs to change his eating habits so that he does not eat very large meals which causes fluctuations in the level of his insulin. Thus, as a part of reactive hypoglycemia treatment plan, he should try to eat small frequent meals instead of large meals. He should also try and remain physically active as much as possible and eat healthy foods that are high in fiber and low in sugar. So, when it comes to treatment of hypoglycemia without diabetes, diet has a pivotal role to play. Also, for people that are fasting, they need to adjust their meals such that there is never a sudden load on the pancreas. There are also certain drugs that tend to cause hypoglycemia without diabetes. There are also drugs that may mask the effects of hypoglycemia in patients. In such cases, it is best to consult a doctor so that he may change the prescription and give you other drugs instead.
This was all about low blood sugar symptoms without diabetes. This is a rare condition and is often situational in nature. It is also a condition that is difficult to diagnose. Hence, as this condition can easily be managed and avoided, it is best to take precautionary measures and ensure that our eating habits and lifestyle is such that there is never a sudden and huge demand for insulin in the body.