Shoulder and Neck Massage Techniques
These massage techniques for neck can be used on yourself and they can also be administered on others. They are simple massage techniques, which are easy to give and also bring about instant relief.
Massage Technique # 1
This is a self massage technique for the shoulders.
- Squeeze and knead the right shoulder with the left hand.
- You can also make use of some massage oil on the skin, to ensure smooth and frictionless movements.
- Repeat the same on the other side as well.
This is a massage technique for the neck.
- Gently hold the back of the neck with one hand, then squeeze the neck firmly, to ease muscle tension.
- Now shrug the shoulders and bring them closer to the ears.
- Hold in the shrug position for 5 seconds and release, to feel the tension drain away.
With this exercise, you will be able to relieve the tension and stiffness from the neck.
- Move the fingers in a circular motion on the neck on any one side of the spine.
- Apply deep pressure to feel the tension accumulated in the area.
- Release and repeat the same on the other side as well.
Here is another massage technique for the neck.
- Clasp hold of your hands tightly and place them on the back of your neck.
- Press forward, but gently, as if you apply too much of pressure, chances are high you will hurt a nerve in the neck.
- Hold for a few seconds and release.
- Repeat the same a number of times for better relief.
This is self massage technique, rather a stretching technique to relieve the tension in the neck and also relieve it of its stiffness. It also loosens the muscles in the affected part and the recovery is much faster. The other advantage is that it also helps in expanding the neck muscles.
- Keep looking forward, then slowly turn your neck towards the left; try to turn the neck as much as you can towards the left.
- Gradually start turning towards the right and repeat the same process on the right side as well.
- After repeating both the steps 4 to 5 times, slowly drop your head to look towards the floor and then come back to drop your head backwards.
- This step is also to be repeated 4 to 5 times.
This technique is also not exactly a massage technique, but helps in stretching of the muscles.
- Rotate your head clockwise at very slowly 5 to 7 times. It is important to rotate slowly, else chances are high you may feel giddy.
- Take a break for a few minutes and then rotate your head anti-clockwise 5 to 7 times again in slow motion.
- This needs to be repeated all through the day every few hours, so that tension is not accumulated in the neck.