What Symptoms are Typical of Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder?
- Developing an attitude of having an ill-humor
- Holding forgetfulness for avoiding responsibilities
- Showing resentment and having an opposition to the demands of others
- Constantly complaining about being unappreciated or feeling inferior about himself
- Procrastination, giving baseless tantrums, stubbornness
- Ambiguity, unexpressed anger or bitterness
- Inefficient in any job assigned, memory problems, and fear of competition
- Developing a cynical attitude towards others, lying
- Fulfilling the requirements too late to be helpful
- Performing the assigned way in a useless manner
- Intentionally jeopardizing the job to make it as a way to express anger or resentment
Although medicines are prescribed in the treatment, stress is mainly put on counseling for dealing with passive aggressive personality disorder. It involves counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy. Here patients are helped to identify and change their passive aggressive behavior, and replace their negative thoughts with positive ones. Here, the counselor works with the patients to help them take the decision when they should comply to others wishes and when to avoid them. The therapy also help them to be more communicative, which they normally aren't.
Then comes group therapy. As the name suggests, a particular group of people suffering from this disorder symptoms, take part in the session. Basically, the sessions conducted by the expert, teach the patients about ways to control their hostility.
Very little medical science can do, when the prospect of cure comes, in the case of this disorder. Medications are prescribed to be used to deal with depression, anxiety, irritability, etc. The use of these medications may give rise to side effects like drowsiness, poor sleep and stomach upset.
Passive aggressive personality disorder is a chronic condition, and has no cure. However, seeking support from friends and family, and following doctor's recommendation, can improve the quality of life.