Things to Know About Puffy Face
There are several symptoms to identify if you are suffering from puffy face. And unless they are symptoms of some serious underlying conditions requiring medical treatment, it can be easily prevented and treated, returning your fresh out of bed look. Here are a list of symptoms depending on mild and severe facial puffiness:
- Rashes and hives
- Eye redness
- Breathing difficulty
- Swelling in neck
- Swelling in mouth, lips and tongue
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Severe facial swelling
There are several factors contributing towards a puffy face in the morning. Facial swelling causes might vary from an insect sting allergy or a drug allergy to some diseases and conditions. These are some common causes:
- Bee sting
- High blood pressure
- Tooth abscess
- Kidney diseases
- Food allergies
- Malnutrition (Vitamin deficiency)
- Reaction to blood transfusion
- Drug allergy (drugs like aspirin, steroids, diuretics, etc.)
The treatment generally depends on the severity of the condition. These are some simple ways to help you prevent and reduce puffy face in milder cases:
- Avoid dehydration by drinking at least 2 liters of water a day, as dehydration causes fluid accumulation in tissues leading to puffiness.
- Follow a low sodium diet by reducing salt intake and avoiding packaged and processed food with high sodium content.
- Follow regular exercise routine for proper functioning of body circulation, thus avoiding retention of water in the facial tissues.
- Consume fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins to avoid vitamin deficiency.
- Drink 3 cups of coffee a day to avoid puffiness caused by water retention as caffeine is a natural diuretic. Also fruits like watermelon, cranberry, cucumber are excellent diuretics.
- Stop waking up in the morning with a puffy face after drinking alcohol by avoiding alcohol. Excessive drinking of alcohol dehydrates the body, leading to puffy face and puffy eyes in the morning.
- Take fruits like watermelon, which are rich in vitamin C. All citrus fruits are also rich sources of vitamin C which can help prevent puffiness.
- Make a habit of eating a balanced, healthy diet. Cut down on high-fat food and include more green leafy vegetables and high fiber food.
Wondering how to reduce facial swelling using easily available ingredients at home? Try these simple steps:
- Splash your face with ice-cold water several times to reduce swelling quickly.
- Application of honey and apple cider vinegar reduces swelling as well as inflammation and redness.
- Apply cold compress or rub ice cubes all over the face for quick reduction of puffy face.
- Apply cold milk with the help of cotton-wool all over the face for 2-3 minutes. Milk not only reduces the swelling on your face, but also acts as a cleanser.
- While sleeping use 2 pillows, if possible, to elevate the head and prevent excess fluid from accumulating in the facial tissues.
- Store facial creams and lotions in the refrigerators and apply in the morning. The low temperature helps reduce puffy face.