There are more than two dozens of antioxidants present in rosemary extract. Most antioxidants get deactivated after neutralizing a free radical. The antioxidants of rosemary are really unique and can neutralize multiple number of free radicals. Thus their lifespan is much longer. Some of the key health benefits have been listed below:
- Rosemary extract protects the skin cells from the damage caused by aging and thus delay the occurrence of wrinkles and sagging skin.
- It promotes the activities of some vital enzymes of our body that helps in flushing out of toxic substances from the body system.
- It provides protection to the brain cells from the effects of aging process and enhances memory. Thus, it reduces the chances of Alzheimer's disease.
- Research studies have found that the anti-inflammatory properties of rosemary extracts and the antioxidants can curb the growth of cancerous cells in the body and reduces the chances of leukemia and breast cancer.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of rosemary extracts brings down the inflammation caused by various allergic reactions like asthma.
- On regular intake of rosemary extract, it can bring about improvement in the functioning of the kidneys.
- It keeps in check the oxidation of LDL (bad cholesterol) and reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
The recommended dose is 1-4 ml of the extract per day. When taken in normal dose, it does not have any side effects. However, if it is taken in excess amount, then it can lead to some serious side effects like spasm, pulmonary edema (or fluid in lungs) and the patient may even slip into coma. Moreover, it is not suitable for pregnant women, lactating mothers and people with epilepsy.