Why is My Eye Twitching all the Time?
Also referred to as myokymia fasciculation, eye twitching accompanies benign and spasmodic tics of the eyelids. In most cases, the lower eyelid is affected, thereby causing the eye to twitch involuntarily. The episode for this annoying situation may last for a few seconds, or as long as a week or more than that. For the query 'why is my eye twitching', there is no clear reason for this irritating situation. But, the probable eyelid twitching causes are harmless, and rarely serious.
The prime cause for eye twitching is increased stress. Hence, onset of eye tics after a long tiring day is often linked to stress. Likewise, increased exertion, eyestrain (working on computer or watching TV for long hours), lack of sleep and fatigue are equally responsible for triggering eye twitching. Other probable causes of eye twitching are excess caffeine intake, eye squinting habit, excess alcohol consumption, eye dryness, allergic reactions and nutritional imbalance.
Speaking more on 'why is my eye twitching', eye tics manifested in both sides may be a case of blepharospasm. This is a neurological disorder that occurs more common in women, who are above their 50s. If left untreated, it may exacerbate with time, resulting in forceful closing of eyes in a frequent manner. Hence, if eyelid twitching continues in both sides for an extended period, one should not delay in taking medical help from a trusted eye doctor. The same is with eye tics caused by involuntary twitching of the facial muscles (hemifacial spasm) on one side.
How to Stop Eye Twitching Effectually?
A sudden onset of eye tics without apparent reason is not serious. Usually, it stops on its own after some minutes. Frankly speaking, there is no cure for eye twitching problems that persist for more than two days or so. Remedial approaches to get rid of discomfort problem are focused on identifying the underlying causes and addressing them. The following tips deal with how to stop eye twitching.
- If physical exertion and stress are the reasons behind twitching of eyes, getting sufficient rest is the sole treatment option. Most likely, the problem will subside after getting good night's sleep.
- For mental stress or job related worries, one should follow proper stress management techniques. Stress is not only related to the twitching eye muscles, but affects other parts of the body and general health too.
- One of the eye twitching remedies that has shown quick result is applying warm compresses. For this, the temperature of the compress should fall within the comfortable range. Remember that you are dealing with the most sensitive part, eyes.
- Those who take coffee several times a day should change their habit. For better health prospects, consider replacing caffeinated drinks with herbal teas and fruit juices.
- Eyelid twitching remedies also involve minimizing the triggers. Say for instance, avoid watching television or working on computer for a long period, which may worsen eyestrain.
- Last but not the least, make lifestyle modifications, specially in terms of refraining from alcohol and smoking. Consume a well-balanced diet, drink ample amounts of water and sleep for 7-8 hours daily to get rid of eye twitching.