As compared to the other (relatively) permanent hair straightening treatments, the Brazilian hair treatment does not render the hair stick thin by modifying the hair cells. Instead, it reconditions the hair and leaves them non-frizzy. It does allow the hair to curl up inwards at the ends and gives then a shine and soft feel to them. This makes the hair look naturally straight and very healthy. This treatment uses keratin, which is a protein that is present in the hair,nails and skin, anyway. However, the hair gradually grows back to its natural state by the end of 8 weeks to 4 months.
In all technicality, the keratin is infused into freshly washed hair, by heat. This strengthens the bond of the hair, without changing the nature of the bond. More so, it smoothens the cuticles and repairs the hair damage. It is said to be one of the reasons why the hair look healthier at the end of the treatment. The treatment does not change the internal structure of the hair, however, people have experienced their hair to be stronger and much more manageable after the treatment.
So, I believe after all the raving that you have already read about the treatment, you must be fairly curious about the process. The process is a fairly complex one. It is technician dependent. Let us know more about it.
- The hair is thoroughly washed to ensure that there is not remnant of any product in the hair. This is done with a salt-free clarifying shampoo.
- Hair is blow dried till the time it is 100 % dry. Then the hair is brush to smoothens out the knots.
- Then the keratin solution is applied to every strand of the hair. This is done by sectioning the hair out.
- The next step is for every section to be straightened 5 times with a specific 450 degree flat iron. This is what infuses the solution into the hair.
- The hair has to remain as such for 72 hours. In this span of time, the hair cannot be pinned or folded in any way. In case that were to happen, it needs to be straightened out again.
- Lastly, the solution is washed out, thoroughly, with a sodium free shampoo and conditioner.
The product, that is the keratin solution, is not a very expensive item for one to buy. However, once it passes the several stages in the economy, by the time it reaches the end user, the cost is quite high. The average cost of the treatment can be kept at about $300. However, the range is between $200 to $500.
The Brazilian hair treatment is a great way to get a straight, beautiful and manageable mane of hair. It is a complex and tiresome procedure, but all's well that ends well, right? So let me know of your experiences with this hair treatment. This is where I sign off!! All the best!!