How to Write an Executive Summary
Learning how to write an executive summary is not as difficult as most people make it out to be. Refer to any number of samples and you will always notice that the basic format of an executive summary always remains the same. The summary will always be defined by what you are writing the summary for; whether for a business plan or a research paper. Depending on that you will need to follow the guideline for writing an executive summary that is given below.
- An executive summary should never be longer than one tenth of the entire length of the original document. This is very important, which is why you need to first read the original transcript and finalize the points that you want to include in your executive summary.
- The main details of the project needs to be included in the report towards the first half. These details include the name of the business, the area where the business is going to be located, details about the service or product on sale, and the reason for which the summary is being written.
- While mentioning details do not unnecessarily harp on something that you have already mentioned in the report to which you are attaching the summary. At the same time avoid over-generalizing the summary.
- Ensure that the points you are mentioning in the executive summary appears in the same order as the main report. This is something that is stressed upon in every executive summary outline.
- Ensure that when you start these points you start with a declarative sentence and then explain the positives of the pointer.
- Go through any of the samples and you will notice how they insist that it is important to avoid any negative association with the company. At the same time avoid any sycophancy.
- Before you take out a final print of the executive summary, ensure that you read it a couple of times and get someone else to read it. This is important to ensure that you have covered every point that you want to and also to make sure that the summary is clear and not difficult to understand.
- Once you have made any changes that were suggested to you, it is important to read the executive summary again to ensure that there are no grammatical or spelling errors.
So you now know how executive summaries are written and what things need to be kept in mind while writing such a summary. The executive summary report example given below will help you understand this document better even if you are not completely aware of the correct executive summary format.
|PetsZone is a company dealing in pet sitting services situated in Orange County, California. An on-site service, we provide pets with the same love and care that they get from their owners. In those situations where the owner is unable to take their pet along with them, PetsZone offers them the option to hire us to take care of their pets in surroundings they are familiar with. We have trained professionals who are used to dealing with animals and are available for day visits and 24 hour care over a period of few weeks.
This business plan intends to highlight the progress of the company from the day of the launch and the projections that we have estimated in the next five years for the company. The pet care business has achieved new heights in the past five years, and with increasing number of people opting to keep pets at home, this business can only experience exponential growth.
Our surveys show us that most pet owners would rather have the option of having their pet looked after at home, then leaving them at pet care centers where they are completely unfamiliar with everything. In fact nine out of ten pet owners would like to hire pet sitters who would provide their pets with 24 hour care at their house.
We understand the security concerns that a pet owner can have with letting an unknown person stay at their house in their absence. All our employees have undergone extensive background checks and have received referrals from previous employers. With only three services in Orange County that offer you pet sitting services at home, PetsZone, ensures you of quality services.
While pet sitting is our primary business, our edge lies in the fact that we also offer pet saloon services to pamper your pet. As of now we have six trained animal care experts and training is on for six more experts to provide pet services. We intend to hire more professionals with time and the grant of required funding.
The management of PetsZone, consists of co-owners, Russell Perry and Samantha Jonson, both of whom have extensive experience in the pet care industry. Both owners will have a huge role in the day-to-day management of the company and are assisted by a board of advisers who also have expertise in the pet care industry.
Our estimates suggest that, according to market area and the clientele, we should have sales of almost USD 400,000 in the first year. In order to achieve this sales projection, we are seeking a funding of USD 100,000, with an investment of USD 50,000 by the co-owners.
Now that you have studied this executive summary example, you know how an executive summary should be drafted. Most samples will have a similar format with the content changing depending on the business plan that is being send out.