Health Benefits of Goji Berries
Goji berries nutrition facts provide information on the brilliant nutritional value of the berries.
- The berries are high in B-complex vitamins, which are necessary for converting food into energy.
- Solavetivone, a powerful antifungal and anti-bacterial compound from the berries helps fight various infections.
- These berries contain physalin, which helps prevent all major types of leukemia. It is also used to treat hepatitis B.
- Betaine from the berries helps relieve stress, improve memory and it also promotes muscle growth. Betaine protects against fatty liver disease.
- Beta-Sitosterol from these berries acts like an anti-inflammatory agent and also helps lower cholesterol. It has been used to treat infertility and enlarged prostate.
- The berries are packed with protein, 19 amino acids of which 8 are extremely important to human life and 21 trace minerals, including the rarest food mineral germanium.
- The essential fatty acids, which you need for the production of body hormones are present in these berries. They enhance the functioning of the brain and nervous system.
- Wolfberries contain more vitamin C than oranges. They have 500 times more vitamin C per ounce than oranges, actually they have more vitamin C than almost all known fruits.
- The berries are more rich in antioxidants than any other fruits. Beta-carotene and zeaxanthin help improve eyesight. These berries are the richest source of carotenoids of all known foods.
- As they are bright red in color, you must have guessed it correctly that these berries are also a superb source of vitamin A. They are also rich in vitamins B1, B2, B6, and E. They are good for strong hair and glowing skin. The anti-aging effect has made them very popular.
- Regular consumption of goji juice plays an important role in detoxification of your body, ensures a healthy liver for a lifetime, strengthens your immune system, improves digestion, relieves joint pain and problems, enhances kidney functions, combats fatigue and lethargy, cures insomnia, boosts sexual life and above all makes you look younger and happier.
- The most important health benefit of goji berries is that cyperone from these berries is beneficial for the heart health as it helps maintain blood pressure. It also alleviates menstrual discomfort. Cyperone has been used to treat cervical cancer. These berries inhibit tumor growth and prevent cancers. Moreover, they help neutralize the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation.
5 tbsp (approximately 28.0 g) of dried Tibetan goji berries contain 112 calories. Thus, we can conclude that they are rich in calories too. About 28.0 g of dried berries contain the following nutrients.
|Sodium||0 mg (0%)|
|Total carbohydrates||24.0 g (8%)|
|Dietary fiber||3.0 g (12%)|
|Total Fat||1.6 g (2%)|
|Cholesterol||0 g (0%)|
|Saturated Fat||0 g (0%)|
Despite the innumerable health benefits of goji berries and energizing calories present in these berries, one may experience side effects of these berries. Excessive consumption of these berries can result in some minor side effects like nausea and dizziness. These berries may interact with high blood pressure and diabetes related medications to produce some really serious side effects. They may cause an abnormal drop in blood pressure and they may also lower the blood sugar level. A diabetic patient may experience dizziness and fainting. So, if you want to consume goji berries for medicinal purpose, it is better to consult with your doctor first. You should discuss all your health problems with the doctor to avoid the side effects of these berries.