Preventing Diabetes ...
There are several natural methods that one can opt for, to keep diabetes at bay.
- Maintain your weight at a healthy level. Be fit, not fat. Type 2 diabetes is mostly detected in people who are over weight. Keep track of your correct weight by height and maintain it.
- Keep your diet low in fats and sugars. People who consume a lot of sugar and fat in their diet, even if they are not overweight, have a higher tendency to be diagnosed with diabetes.
- Have a high fiber diet. A high fiber diet is effective at lowering the blood sugar levels. As such, having a high fiber diet would help prevent diabetes.
- Have more of a vegetable and less of a meat diet. Meat contains saturated fat which is also responsible for diabetes. Avoid red meat completely and keep the white meat to a minimum.
A lot of children these days are being diagnosed with diabetes type 2. Earlier diabetes was a disease of the elderly, however, today, children seem to be taking it over. How do we go about preventing it?
- Healthy food is imperative to prevent diabetes. Most children these days prefer to have junk food. Cultivate a habit in them to develop a taste for foods that are healthy.
- Exercise is very important. Make sure that the child is a part of the school sports teams and gets regular physical exercise. Simply being thin is not being fit. The body has to work out the excessive energy to prevent fat conversion and diabetes.
- Maintaining the correct body weight is very important for a healthy lifestyle. Most children these days, either eat too much of the wrong food and become overweight, or eat nothing to stay skinny and in tune with today's trend. Make sure that the children have a healthy body weight as per their height.
- Let your child know all about diabetes. If it runs in the family, it is very important for the child to know how uncomfortable an illness it is. This way, he will, himself, make it a point to take efforts to prevent it for himself.
- Keep a healthy lifestyle in the family. Yes, it is easy to shower the children with chocolates, but that has to be avoided. Support a healthy and happy lifestyle in the house, as a family, to prevent diabetes.
.. During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a time when a woman is susceptible to almost anything. Getting diabetes during pregnancy can create a lot of complications for the delivery as well. So, here are methods to prevent the disease in such a delicate time.
- Maintain a healthy diet and make sure you gain the amount of weight you are supposed to. This will give the body the required immune power and energy to prevent diseases. Keep your diet high in fiber and low in fats and sugar.
- Exercise regularly for about 30 minutes. This will not only help prevent diabetes, but also help you stay fit and strong. Walking is the most preferred type of exercise during pregnancy.
- Eat smaller portions of food. This way, you can eat more times a day. This will help your body to not feel the hunger pangs and stay satiated. This also helps prevent gestational diabetes.
- Drink ample amounts of water. Water helps reduce the calorie count in the body and flushes out the toxins. Avoid soda or any aerated drinks, and opt for water if you have a choice.