Olive Oil and Skin
As mentioned above, humans have been using olive oil for skin care, throughout the ages. Apart from providing with a smooth and radiant complexion, this oil is also said to be useful for maintaining the elasticity of the skin. It is rich in antioxidants like, vitamin E that can fight signs of aging. Is eating olive oil good for your skin? This is one of the frequent queries about olive oil. The answer is that even ingestion of this oil can prove beneficial for skin, as the nutrients in it can promote skin health. It is also said to be useful in treating certain skin disorders like eczema and psoriasis.
Olive oil contains chlorophyll that is beneficial in healing scars and wounds. It is said to protect the skin from ultraviolet rays and the resultant sun damage and even cancer. In fact, studies conducted on mice suggest that this oil may prevent the formation of tumor and skin cancer, as a result of exposure to ultraviolet rays. It can be used for skin care in many ways.
How to Use Olive Oil for Skin?
Olive oil can be used as a moisturizer, exfoliator, night cream, nail soak, lip balm, bath oil, etc. Before starting with its various uses, you must know which type of olive oil is good for the skin. You may find different versions of this oil in the market. As far as skin care is concerned, extra virgin olive oil is said to be the best.
- Olive oil is an excellent moisturizer that can keep the skin soft, supple and smooth. It is said to penetrate deep into skin layers and keep the skin moist for a long time. It is best to apply this oil on the skin, after bath, when the skin is damp.
- This oil can be used as a good exfoliator. All you have to do is to combine it with a small amount of sugar or sea salt and gently massage it over the skin.
- It is also an excellent bath oil. You have to add a small amount of this oil to the water, meant for bathing. You may also use it with one or two drops of essential oil.
- Olive oil can be a useful natural remedy for chapped lips. Even nails can be benefited with this product. In order to make them smooth and fine, dip the nails in a cup of oil, for at least thirty minutes.
- This oil is best for oil cleansing method, which is said to work wonders for the skin. Mix equal amounts of olive oil and castor oil and massage it on the face. Now dip a soft cloth in hot water and wring it out. Steam your face with the washcloth for a minute. Wipe the face with the washcloth and see the difference.