Lifestyle Changes for Better HealthHealth is important for all of us. We face many health-related problems due to the stresses caused by the requirements of our modern times. This article explains about health and suggests some ways to improve our health.
This denotes an overall good body health. It includes average height, average weight and the absence of any disease. Good physical health is an outcome of:
• Regular Exercise
• Proper Diet and Nutrition
• Proper rest
WHO defines mental health as 'a state of well-being' in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully and is able to make contribution to his or her own community'. Mental health denotes a good cognitive and emotional well-being and is a more subjective assessment. Incessant stress leads to psychosomatic disorders such as diabetes, hypertension, arthritis, and back pain, to mention a few.
DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH
The main determinants of health are:
The conditions in which people are born, grow and live and work.
The health facilities available and the health system.
MAIN CAUSES OF HEALTH PROBLEMS
In the modern era, the main causes of health problems are:
• Unhealthy food habits - Preserved food, fast food, high caloric diets along with smoking, alcohol, and drugs
• Sedentary work life that results in lack of exercise
• Stress of the body and mind and psychological stress
LIFESTYLE CHANGES FOR BETTER HEALTH
During modern times, we have come across situations with a high level of competition, deadlines, traveling, night -shifts, traffic congestion, noise, and dust pollution. There are some simple ways in which a person can keep themselves fit in these circumstances.
REGULAR HABITS FOR A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Following some simple routine practices that include:
• To wake up early, between 4 - 6 AM. It is believed that all five elements; earth, fire, water, air and ether are in the pure state at this time. Some exceptions to this rule are the very young, the old, parents with small children and people who are sick. You should wake up if you feel that the food taken during the previous day has been digested. Of not, you can sleep for a little while longer.
• Going to bed early after the day's work has been done.
• To evacuate waste in the morning after a proper urge and giving a thought to the previous day's diet.
• Exercise/Yoga should be done regularly to improve the body and mind and to help one relax and fill your body with goodness.
• Massage your head, scalp, forehead, temples, and feet for five minutes. This self-massage keeps us strong and prevents us from aging.
• Brushing the teeth and cleaning the tongue.
• Clean your ear and nose. Nose may be cleaned with warm water mixed with rock salt, also called 'neti'.
• Bathing with tepid or cool water and not immediately after meals.
• Having a healthy and nutritious breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
• Over and above all of this, you should have good conduct and good manners.