It has been observed that people from low income groups have poor or frail health. At the same time, they do not have the resources to pay for, in case of a health scare. When citizens are unemployed, they receive public assistance from the state, and also their insurance premium is paid by the government. But when they join the work force segment, they do not receive public assistance and their insurance is not paid by the government as well. Often they do not earn enough to pay for individual health insurance premium, therefore their insurance policies lapse. Different states in United States of America have different health insurance policies for low income group families. But many times it has been observed that, low income families are not aware of these benefits. To avail health insurance policies, one needs to inquire about the various plans and make the most of the facilities.
Children are covered under the public health policies. For example, New York State has a plan called Child Health Plus (CHPlus). This plan is applicable for children belonging to below-poverty-line families. The immunization of these children is carried out under this plan.
It can be difficult at times to find a cheap medical insurance policy. In such cases, you need to get in touch with an independent health insurance agent. The agent assists in finding suitable, cheap premium family health insurance policies. The state insurance department can also be contacted for more information, and also to suggest a health care program as per need. They normally do have a list of cheap premium health insurance policy providers.
There are various options available in the market for health insurance policies. They are:
- Medicare or Medicaid Policy: This policy is financed equally by the federal and the state governments. These policies are managed by the state governments. Low income group individuals, children and senior citizens, especially citizens above the age of 65 can avail this insurance plan. There are various eligibility criteria for this policy, like a person who is insured under this policy has to be an American citizen. The assets of this person along with the income, is considered. This plan is also suggested for pregnant women from low income families with diabetes.
- Health Savings Account: With this policy, money is saved for health insurance. It works in tandem with High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP). Certain amount goes to this health saving account. The savings from that account is used for over-the-counter medicines, prescription, visit to the physician, etc.
- Mini Medical Insurance: This is an insurance plan, which falls under the 'low income health insurance plans' category. This plan has low premium as compared to the regular insurance policies.
- Low Income Health Insurance Companies: There are certain health insurance companies, who provide low income health insurance packages. These packages do not pay for the regular checkups, etc. but provide care in case of an accident or major illness.
- State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP): This is an insurance plan for children from low income families, below the age of 19. The eligibility for this plan is the gross family income. The gross family income should be less than $40,000. The citizenship of the child is not considered in the eligibility criteria. There are different set of rules for S-CHIP in different states.