Symptoms of B12 Deficiency
It is important to note that most of these signs of B12 deficiency can also be symptoms of some other illness. Therefore, it is imperative to confirm the actual cause. Here is the list of Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms.
- If you have an itching sensation on the edge or tip of the tongue, it is one of the signs of Vitamin B12 deficiency. Some people also experience a tingling or stinging sensation. There are others who also have pain sensation.
- White spots on the skin are one of the most commonly found B12 deficiency symptoms. These spots are normally found outside the forearm. It actually indicates absence of melatonin in that area. If this is not treated on time, the spots become raw and flaky, exposing raw skin in the process.
- Sores along the edge of the mouth are another symptom. These sores keep coming back often.
- Nagging pain below the ring finger is also a B12 deficiency symptom. If the pain is neglected, the pain can also start at the outside edge of the palm, at the wrist.
- If you have palpitations even after walking a few steps, but no chest pain is observed, it can be due to B12 deficiency.
- Eye twitching is also one of the symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency. The eye twitching generally occurs below the eye or on the eyelid. It is not painful but annoying nevertheless.
- Another sign of B12 deficiency is a tickling sensation at the back of the thighs. It usually starts at the hips and moves downwards. If not treated in time, the tickling sensation can turn into pain.
- Memory loss is severe if the deficiency aggravates. In case of a mild deficiency, memory loss is not apparent.
- Migraines can also be caused due to B12 deficiency. There are, of course, many reasons for migraines. In some cases migraines, go away after the patient has been treated for Vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Fatigue is the most common sign of B12 deficiency. At the same time let's not forget, there can be many other reasons for fatigue as well.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B12 can lead to insomnia. Therefore, while treating insomnia, it is important to check whether Vitamin B12 deficiency has caused insomnia.
- Digestive problems are also caused by B12 deficiency. It actually creates a flaw in the absorption of vital vitamins and minerals.
- Neurological damage is also a sign of B12 deficiency.
- Many women complain of irregular menstruation, while there are others who complain of heavy bleeding. It is usually caused due to B12 deficiency. Some cases of infertility have also been observed due to the vitamin deficiency. The deficiency of Vitamin B12 can also lead to male impotence.
- Low platelet count is also caused by B12 deficiency.
- Some loss of appetite complaints can be due to the deficiency of Vitamin B12.