But what we share,
For the gift
without the giver
Is bare." - James Russell Lowell
Thank you - A word that we have learned as children, to appreciate some thing good done to or for us. It is a magical word, it can bring a smile to even the most non-believing person's face. So why just stop at saying thank you? Take it a step further, give them a note expressing your gratitude. Written words last longer than the ones spoken, right?
How to Write a Note Expressing Your Thanks
One thing to remember is, that a note saying 'thank you' needs to be written and sent as soon as possible, preferably, within 24 hours. It makes the recipient of the card feel special and like they have added value to your life.
There are two types:
- Formal or Business Thank You Note - This is written in a formal atmosphere and has formal language. For example, writing a note saying thank you to your boss for a promotion or appraisal. Writer needs to keep the hierarchy and the age of the receiver in mind.
- Personal Thank You Note - This is a less formal, casual style note. Mostly used in personal correspondence and has no language specification. The writer needs to be conscious of the receivers age and the relation that they share.
Thank You Ideas
There are several ways in which you could go about writing your note.
- Plain and Simple: You could give a simple note that has "Thank you for......." written on it. This is done when the sender is sending out the note to thank many people. Like, a note for a person attending a wedding could be, "Thank you for being there on out special day!".
- Photo-perfect: In case of a note to a very special friend, you could write "Thank You" at the back of a photograph of the two of you. This makes the note very special and the emotion very apparent. More so, it is personalized and hence, makes the receiver feel on top of the world.
- Poetic effect: Poems and Sonnets are a great and well - known way to express an emotion. You could try writing a poem that is appropriate to the occasion. Like if you are thanking a person for a helping you out in need of hour, you could write a poem on how a friend in need is a friend indeed. It is a cute and very touching way to say thanks,
- Quote unquote: Thank you quotes are amply available (there is one at the start of the article). Saying thank you in the form of a quotation can really amplify the way you emotion goes through to the opposite person. More so, you come off as well-read and "wordy".